Plural noun names more than one person, place animal or thing. When we talk about more than one of anything, we use plural nouns. Writing the plural nouns follows certain rules. While most plural nouns are written by using the same word and adding ‘s’ to it in the end, there are certain words formats where we add es, ies or ves in the end. And there are words that are an exception to these rules as well. I am sharing this addictive chain reaction card game, “I have, who has” for plural nouns.
To understand the practice the plural noun rules, check this plural noun rules post on my blog. It explains 7 plural nouns in detail and you can download the free pack of 7 worksheets too.
Who has the plural of lily?
I have lilies.
Who has the singular of libraries?
I have library.
Let’s discuss and understand the plural nouns game.
How to play this game?
Have the children sit in a circle. The child with the start card goes first. The children stand and read their cards. And a chain reaction ensues. The child with the correct answer stands up and reads their card. The game continues until ‘The end’ card is read. To make it more challenging, time the children and have them try to break their own record.
There are 6 sheets with 6 cards printed on each sheet. That makes it 36 cards in all. You will need to print these sheets and cut them into cards. Print these clip cards on card stock and laminate them for durability.
Let me discuss the plural rules we will be covering in brief.
1. Plural rule- If a singular noun ends with ch, sh, s, ss, x or z, add -es to make it plural.
2. Plural rule – If a singular noun ends in a -y, see the letter before the -y. If it is a consonant, change the ‘y’ to an ‘i’ before adding an -es.
3. Plural rule- If a singular noun ends in a -y, see the letter before the -y. If it is a vowel, add -s to make it plural.
4. Plural rule- If a singular noun ends with f or fe, we replace the f or fe with ves.
5. Plural rule- For certain singular nouns, a word may completely change its form when a plural is made.
6. Plural rule- Some nouns do not change when pluralized. They use the same singular and plural form.
This plural nouns game pack is a subscriber freebie.